YAN NIE, TH’NG
Partner – Dispute Resolution
“Knowledgeable with a great sense of fearlessness… Someone trusted to handle the toughest claims.“
Yan Nie was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2014. She was also called to the English Bar in 2014 as a member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, having earlier obtained her Bachelor of Law from the University of Liverpool. She joined the firm in 2019 and was admitted as partner in 2022.
Yan Nie’s portfolio includes a wide range of civil litigation matters, including contractual and commercial disputes, fraud and defamation as well as land matters such as compulsory land acquisition (both in judicial review actions and proceedings before the land reference court). She also has extensive experience in debt recovery and enforcement matters. She has also appeared in numerous Industrial Court proceedings, representing both employers and employees in unfair dismissal claims.
One client describes Yan Nie: “She is a person of high calibre, both professionally and personally. She has great knowledge of the law, the ability to listen well and sound judgment. She is organised, observant, sharp and creative. What comes across is also her trustworthiness and natural warmth and compassion for clients. I truly felt supported and in good hands with Yan Nie.”
- Represented and/or assisted a sub-contractor in obtaining an adjudication decision of over RM4million.
- Represented and/or assisted in various fraud related suits in the High Court each worth millions.
- Successfully obtained freezing injunctions against Defendants in fraud related matters.
- Representing a cargo airline in enforcing a training bond against a former employee, including a successful appeal at the Court of Appeal.
- Representing a multinational corporations in their debt recovery efforts, including successfully obtaining judgment and/or settlement.
- Represented and/or assisted various multinational corporations in defending against unfair dismissal claims brought by employees who were retrenched or terminated for misconduct or poor performance.
- Advised several multinational companies on various HR and employment related issues including fraud related misconduct, and economic measures taken during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Represented and/or assisted in various land reference proceedings, as well as judicial review applications to challenge and also in defending challenges against compulsory land acquisition exercise undertaken by the Federal or State Government
- Represented and/or assisted in various land matters, including opposing an application to remove private caveat in the High Court and defending an application for a right of way at the land office.
- Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya (2014)
- Member of the Honorable Society of Lincoln’s Inn (2013)
- LLB (Hons), University of Liverpool (2012)
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council’s Child Rights Committee (2020/2021)